Friday, January 25, 2013

learning is living


I don't think I'm alone in believing that people should never say they "can't" do something. You can DO anything. Really, just about anything if you set your mind to it. If you learn how and then practice it and then work really, really hard until you accomplish it. 

Kids get this. They are taught new things in school and they believe anything is possible. Ask them what they want to be when they grow up and you'll hear "astronaut!" "football player!" "famous actress!". They learn so many new things that they don't fear it. The adults are the ones that surprise me. 

My 75-year old boss has an iphone. I don't think he likes it but he is determined to learn how to use it. I admire him so much for that. I know it isn't easy for him and I might laugh a little when he slaps it repeatedly when it doesn't pick up on his touch. The point is, he won't stop learning because he knows that it is what keeps him alive. 

Not physically, but mentally alive and sharp. Learning is the key to staying young and keeping your life relevant. There are so many things I want to learn in my life. 

Here are my top 5:

1. How to sew
2. How to change the oil in my car
3. How to drive stick shift
4. How to make a website and/or write computer code
5. How to french braid my own hair (seriously, this one is tough)

If I ever really need to do one of the above, I'm sure I will learn it. I just don't want to say that "I can't". I may choose never to change the oil and I may not ever write code but I should know how.

I hope I can teach Emmy this. I want to teach her how to do all the things I know then help her find people to teach her the things I don't know. I am sure it will be tough to teach her how to do things when I can do them myself quicker. It will probably be even harder to let her do it her own way even if I think my way is better. I am promising myself now that as long as she is learning and doing things for herself, I will step back and let her try. Then, after she goes to bed, I'll go behind her and fix it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment