Friday, February 8, 2013

operation: birthday party

Who's got the prettiest blue eyes and her first birthday party tomorrow??




This girl!

First off, I can't believe we have had our sweet girl for a year already. As much as it seems our life was a blur before her, the time with her has gone by even faster. I want to do a proper birthday party and first year post but this is not that post.

This one is about my thoughts on a one-year-old's birthday party. I follow other mom's blogs and am a little frustrated at the levels that some moms go to for a first birthday. Professional photography, customized outfits, full on themes with extravagant handmade decorations, catered food and dammit - just plain beautiful parties. I love it and yet I HATE IT. It's so much money for something that is more likely to make your kid squeem under the pressure of so many eyeballs and unfamiliar items floating around. 

I wanted Emmy's day to be special but I wanted it to be a day full of her favorite things just for her. So, a day at the park watching her poodle run around, long naps and lots of dancing with her parent's undivided attention. That's an Emmy day. But maybe that's selfish of us, to keep her day for ourselves.

So at the last minute Joe and I decided to throw together a picnic for Emmy and invite the family and friends. 

Budget: $150.00
Timeline: 24 hours

Think I can do it? I hope so! But in the end, all that matters is that my sweet girl has a good weekend. She truly deserves it. 

1 comment:

  1. Emmy sure looks adorable! I hope that with your tender loving care, she'll get to grow to be a healthy, active kid!

    ReplyDelete