Wednesday, February 13, 2013

operation 24hr birthday party: success!









Emmy's birthday was close to perfect. We really lucked up with the weather and had highs in the 60's in early February (oh, Alabama you came through for once!). On the day we took Emmy home last year, it was freezing and snowing... you never know what you will get here. We tossed the football, watched Rufus gallop, played on the swing sets and grilled some burgers. 

I even stayed on budget. Here's how it broke down:

Food for 14 people: $95
Just hamburger meat, hot dogs, buns, chips, dips, sweet tea and beer. I also picked up the utensils, plates, napkins and cute straws- all from Target, all while my husband cried about being hungry. Do you know how hard it is to plan a last-minute party while shopping in the world's most distracting store while your husband and child whine about being hungry... in a GROCERY STORE?! So yeah, I sent Joe and Emmy off to get their own food. 

Decorations: $23
I thought I was too late to get cute things that said "1st Birthday" because I assumed that was an Etsy buy or maybe I would have to search local gift shops but Party City had some great choices! I went in for a dozen balloons and came out with party hats, a bib and tablecloth. Sidenote: buying balloons for my kid's birthday made me feel really adult all of a sudden. I realized I had never purchased them and I wasn't sure what to do so I just sulked around the counter stretching balloons until someone asked me if they could help. Then I blabbered about my kid's first birthday and wanting shades of pink and the sweet guy just picked the colors for me.

Cake/Smash Cupcakes: $30 (okay, $40 but I had a $10 gift card so technically still on budget)
I saw this cake on their website for Valentine's day and when I called they said they keep them in stock so I didn't have to custom order. Easy! And, it was only $32 - maybe it's just me but I thought that was a steal! Again, my first time buying a cake. I actually prefer the taste of homemade cakes but I wanted this to be special. Emmy loved her cupcake. Or at least the icing anyway.

Grand total: $148.00

Most people ended up bringing their own beer which was great since our 18 went really fast waiting 2 hours for the grill to heat up. That outdoor grill was the only hiccup the whole day. It took so long for the coals to get hot that everyone had filled up on beer and chips. 


my sweet sister, Courtney!

this wagon is going to be awesome, I can't wait to use it!

We brought a football and my dad bought Emmy this awesome Radio Flyer that she got to ride around in. I was busy making sure everything was laid out and being sociable so it was nice that my sister was able to capture the moment on her camera. She's really talented and having her saved a lot of money. 

In retrospect, I should have known that I wouldn't be able to get out of a party and I should have planned a little better just to avoid the last minute stress. There was no way my family was going to let me out of having a party and I am so glad they didn't. Emmy loved it. She loved everyone doting on her, being outside, watching her puppy play and eating cake! I am so proud of this sweet girl and   our first year with her has been full of joy, I just can't wait to get to know her this year.



my momma and emmy

rufus snufus, the best dog in the world

my daddy and my baby

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your sweet angel had a lot of fun during her party, especially when she ate her cupcakes. I agree – the cake is definitely superb! It’s beautifully made, and it matches the theme of your party. Perhaps some loot bags will further spice up the next party that you’ll hold for Emmy. :)

    Tucker Inman

    ReplyDelete