Monday, August 12, 2013

pinterest project


I was on pinterest again.

I see some ideas and I think - BRILLIANT! I must do this! I found this link on pinterest with "Easy DIY wall art". As soon as I saw the canvas with lights I decided I knew how to do it and only needed to buy lights so it would be super cheap. 

The thing is, it's not Christmas so the only quantity of lights Target had was 100. Not a big deal, though, so I bought them. 


A while back I purchased several Martha Stewart paints from Home Depot for $1 each. I picked a light pink and mango pink and did an ombre effect. I *almost* stopped there because it occurred to me that I could put pictures of our family all over it and make a really cool collage but I felt bold so I went on with the project.


I got to work poking holes randomly in a sort of circle fashion. Towards the end I realized I should test the holes to make sure I could get the bulb in. The bulb nearly doubled the size of the hole so all of a sudden my designs were too narrow. I didn't leave any room for all the cords and boy, 100 lights are really bright. 


I somehow managed to jam all the lights in and only had to use a little tape to keep them in place on the back. I ran up to Emmy's room, plugged up my art project and WOW. It was bright. Like way too bright to use as a night light. I tried to cover up some of the lights with a picture but 100 is too many. I had hoped to be able to leave this on but I also feared that it might catch on fire with all those lights so close together. 


Emmy loves it though. I let her sit up there and touch the lights for a while and I leave it on while we read books and she plays in her house. I'm not a very patient person but if I were, I might have actually checked on the source link for the project and read the tips on the size canvas you need (mine is way too small) and how to space and design your pattern so that it doesn't look like a glob. Oh well, not too much time or money wasted so I'll just call it a win. 

No comments:

Post a Comment