Wednesday, January 29, 2014

snowpocalypse survival kit


I have been enjoying my day at home with Emmy and Joe. We had a fun day, exploring the icy roads and playing in the snow. As we checked out all the damage, all we could say is "we are so lucky..." I have watched the news and read facebook updates about the terrible ordeal so many people have faced. My own family was separated, hosted in strangers and friend's homes. By the end of the day, everyone made it to their own homes and are safe. 

I thought about how ill-prepared we were (just like everyone else) and how I am going to start keeping my car prepared for the unexpected. And, yes, "snowpocalypse" is a very accurate term to describe the abandoned cars, walking miles in a completely shut-down city. This kind of storm probably won't happen again for a very long time but there are still ways to keep items in your car for emergencies. 

I dressed for work with thin black pants and wooden hills. I was miserable outside, sliding all over the place and the snow went straight through my clothes. I was cursing myself for not keeping a pair of tennis shoes (or better yet - rain boots!) with me at all times. I should have also had a gym bag full of extra clothes and contact solution, a toothbrush, snacks and water. I used to keep a little victorinox knife on my keychain. Then, the airports got all "you're gonna take someone's eye out!" and I stopped carrying it. I'm adding it back. Just in case, not much protection and not much help but it is a handy little tool.

We usually keep a blanket in the car for Emmy and another that is waterproof on one side for picnics. One day I decided they were cluttering my car. They will be back in the morning! I also left my scarf and hat at home. I'm not outside long enough for those to be necessary and most of the time the static makes me frustrated but if I had to walk home I would have really risked frost bite.

Finally, cell phones and chargers. I have a cell phone charger in my car, I only bought it a few months ago and I was so thankful to be able to talk, text and track my family without worrying about the battery life. This blue and white square thingy is called a Triple C universal charger. It can charge anything as long as you have the adapter. It would have been great for the people walking home or to help someone else with a low car battery. 

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment