Monday, January 13, 2014

toddler iphone/ipad apps

Some of my favorite toddler (age 1-3) iphone/ipad apps. 


I'm really particular about iPhone apps for Emmy. It's still my phone and I only have apps for her so that she is quiet when we are in grown-up situations and all other attempts to entertain her fail. And let's face it, I love to give Emmy attention while browsing the grocery store but if this keeps her seated and not off running down the aisle in the opposite direction - I'm game. 

 My rules for apps: I don't want them to take up much space, run GPS in the background or offer links to purchase other apps. Emmy loves Disney, music and repeatedly tapping the screen impatiently. Did I just describe your toddler too? Pretty basic stuff here and these apps are perfect.

1. The Peekaboo apps are genius. I think I own almost all of them. Emmy has actually learned many words from the app and they recently came out with a Sesame Street version that gets her screaming "Elmo!! Elmo!! Elmo!!" with utter thrill every single time he pops up. I don't know why she loves these so much but the simple concept is great.

2. Elmo Calls. Emmy never watched Sesame Street, her love for Elmo is from this app and his name was one of her first words. This app was her first favorite but she rarely chooses it now. I just don't have the heart to delete him.

3. Monster 1 (The Monster at the End of the Book). This app is definitely geared to 2+ with specific locations for the child to tap to turn the page but Emmy giggles to the sound of Grover's voice yelling for her not to do something. She has such a naughty side. 

4. Disney Junior. This app is clutch. You log in with your cable provider and the kid takes over choosing what shows to watch. Emmy loves this and we hand over the iPad some mornings so we can watch the news (I feel like this is making us out to be the laziest parents!). Sofia the First app is a little advanced for Emmy but she likes to click on it just to see Sofia. There is part of this app that allows her to record her voice and many conversations between her parents (nice). 

5. Endless ABC. Basically, your kid drags letters around while the letters make their "sounds" to make words. It's not teaching your kid to spell but more likely to match shapes and recognize letters. Still somewhat educational and the graphics are great.

6. Little Fox/Music Box. These apps are so adorable. They are just beautiful and all your kid has to do is touch it repeatedly to make the characters move, sing, dance, etc. The music is great and I could even be entertained a little. 

7. Phone 4 kids. A basic (slightly cheesy) app that allows your kid to type in phone numbers, text messages, draw pictures and play music to their hearts desire. The phone part scared Joe a few times because it sounds so realistic. There is an ad in this one but it only comes up on the first screen.

8. Ginger Cat the talking cat. I'm not going to lie - I've almost deleted these two apps many times. I've paid for them so that they don't have ads but ads keep popping up after updates and I'm scared the links back to itunes will eventually cost me! But, Emmy loves to slap this kitty and then sing to it so that it repeats her song. One time she left the phone running this app in our bed and after she went to sleep I asked Joe a question and it repeated it back from under my pillow. Freakiest moment ever.

I'm probably missing some great apps out there but I've found this is more than enough to keep Emmy entertained for 30(ish) minutes - just enough to get a few things done. 

post signature

2 comments: