Sunday, July 8, 2012

the personality of a name

Emmy & Grammy

For a while, I couldn't explain why I liked this picture so much. 
Emmy isn't exactly smiling and her outfit makes her look a little like a boy (don't get me wrong: I love this outfit). But then it hit me, I love that I can see in her eyes a preview of her personality.

Emmy is the sweetest baby in the world, this is a non-negotiable fact and I have no idea where she gets it.

I'd like to say that we are doing something as parents to make her laid back and sweet natured but I know that's not true. She is just a happy kid and every now and then, like in this picture, I lock eyes with her and I see that she is so much more than a sweet girl. She is going to be incredible, we know this because it's in her name

We gave Emmy two names because I think names have a lot to do with personalities. We chose "Emmy" in part because my boss's wife's name is Emmy and I adore her, everyone does. She is a sweet and strong independent-minded woman. Exactly the kind of woman I would want my daughter to be. But "Emmy" is a nickname and Joe was adamant that we have a "real" name too. I've always liked Amelia until a recent BBC America series of Doctor Who made me LOVE it. 

The Doctor's companion is named Amelia Pond and she is an adventurous Scottish ginger with a quick, witty sense of humor and incredible bravery. I love her character so much and we knew we would be arming our daughter with our hopes for her in her name: to be sweet but strong, brave and maybe a little witty too. 

Oh, and in case you think I'm crazy, I do understand that Emmy will be who she is. That doesn't mean I can't imagine what she might be like or give her the confidence to find the strength to be herself. 

Amelia Pond on the TARDIS.
Her real name is Karen Gillan, my mom's name is Karen so how perfect is that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment