Thursday, July 12, 2012

random story from england

So, this strange thing happened to Joe and I while we were in England on our honeymoon. There were so many fun things that happened on that trip that I'm not sure we ever told anyone about the "strange thing". 

This was maybe the 4th or 5th day of the trip. We had just left London, I think it was maybe our 2nd night in Oxford. We were strolling around and I was looking for an ice cream shoppe I had remembered being particularly good and I kept telling Joe he just HAD to try it. A short walk later, we found ourselves in a Ben & Jerry's (I said it was good, I didn't say it was original). 

We started to walk back towards the College and our hotel, on St. Giles Street and decided to stop and sit on a bench to eat our ice cream and talk. I have, below, a picture of this exact bench:

copyright: wikipedia
As we were sitting there, a car pulls right in front of us (see that little street cutting around the memorial?) and a black guy gets out and runs towards us, his car parked but still running. 

Now, do not think I am a racist because I was scared and immediately gripped my purse. Who wouldn't be scared of a man running towards you in a foreign country?! 

He stopped in front of us and said, "I have to tell you, you are so blessed. I can see it. You are blessed ones. I just, I see it and I had to tell you" and like that he turned around back to his car. I sort of mumbled thank-you as he started to drive off. Joe and I looked at each other and laughed about halos and glowing orbs around our bodies but I'm not going to lie, I was flattered. 

The thing is, the guy didn't seem that crazy. He didn't want anything from us, he didn't give us a religious pamphlet to study and he didn't even reference who his God was. 

When I found out I was pregnant a month later, I thought about this moment and how it had been 2 nights after we conceived. So... maybe he knew we were blessed with a baby? Maybe he knew that we were going to have the best baby in the world and that she would make our lives full. 

I'll never know if that guy was someone special, if he was in touch with God, if he believed in telling people that they were special, or if he was just bat-shit crazy. But I'll tell Emmy this story when she gets older, about how a man found us in a foreign country and saw how she would make our lives special and how important she is to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment