Thursday, April 4, 2013

emmy in the library

Yesterday was a dreary, rainy day. I was able to get my work done by 3:30 so I left the office and picked up my lil bit for some time together. I didn't want to go home because I knew I would get into the routine of chores and meals so I texted my friend Keri to see if she was at work. Lucky for me, she was at the library so I told her we were on our way.

When I babysat Caroline (about Caroline here) we would go to the library and sit in the kids section for hours. She would play with the toys, read books and watch puppet shows. It was nice to get out of the house with her and even better, the library was within walking distance from her house so we got a little fresh air. 

When Emmy and I arrived, it brought back a rush of old memories. This is a different library but the attention to wonder and imagination that both of these libraries have created is exciting even for the adults. The Vestavia library, known as "The Library in The Forest" is literally tucked into the woods, with lots of windows, an open layout and even couches around a fireplace for reading. I DIE.

Emmy made herself right at home.


Add caption

Keri and I talked while she roamed around and played with a little red-headed girl named Molly. After Molly left a few boys came over to play in the castle that Emmy was using to put all her puzzle pieces in.

I swear, it was love at first sight. She was giggling and laughing at the boys and they were all very sweet to her. She picked up the dinosaurs right out of their hands and they would say "Oh, you want the Rex? Okay, you can have it". At one point I caught her standing on a brachiosaurus's head and the boy was voicing the dino's crying voice "Ohhhh, my head is squished! help me! ohhhhhh" and Emmy was just staring at him, mouth open like "you're weird."  It was definitely giving me the baby fever.  


In other news, Emmy is apparently reaching a new phase. When I picked her up, her teacher told me that she had pulled another girl down by her hair. I was shocked because Emmy is so sweet and shy. I looked at the little girl though and sure enough, her face was puffy and there were tears still streaming down her face. I felt terrible! I asked Emmy if she had hurt her and she shook her head 'no'. Then her teacher asked her, "Emmy, did you pull her down by her hair?" and Emmy nodded her head 'yes' and started laughing. Oh my.

Unfortunately, it wasn't long after this picture that I got to see her in action. She saw that boy's glorious long and naturally highlighted hair and grabbed tight. He was very kind as I unwrapped her fingers from his skull and apologized profusely. He said, "it's okay, she can play but I don't like it when she does that cuz it hurts". So we watched her and when she made her second dive for his hair, we decided it was time to go.

On days like this I am thankful for my quick cell phone camera and blog to keep the memories of the little things we did together.

No comments:

Post a Comment