Sunday, March 31, 2013

easter

I was really excited about Easter this year. I knew the bunny would come for Emmy and I had a hard time sleeping trying to guess what the bunny would bring and how he would get it out before Emmy went downstairs. Just like parents waiting for Santa, it can be just as exciting as it is for the kids. 

Early in the morning we woke to hear Emmy coughing. I dug up the humidifier out of the closet and set it back up to help her out. Emmy is getting tubes for her constant ear infections in a few weeks  and the doctor specifically mentioned that her lungs need to be strong so I'm keeping a close eye on her coughing. I will definitely do a post about her tubes since that seems to be a really common procedure for kids these days.

But first... the Easter bunny came for Emmy!


The Easter bunny brought Toms shoes, a sweet Jellycat bunny, an Easter bunny cereal bowl and Alice in Wonderland by Jennifer Adams. We didn't buy any candy this year since I knew I would eat it all. 

Emmy with her bunny ears!
Photo Credz: Courtney Truss

I was really excited about her easter bunny breakfast. I made cinnamon toast and cut out bunny ears and let Emmy have some goldfish in the carrot cookie cutter. I'm not going to lie, I was hopeful for a bigger production and Emmy took one look at the toast and tossed it to the dog. So yogurt for breakfast as usual.

After breakfast and a morning nap, we packed up and headed to see Joe's family in Centre...


 I was so excited to start up a movie for Emmy in the car. This was her first trip in the forward-facing carseat so I grabbed "Bambi", hopped in the back with her and started it up. She was more into the remote than the movie so I climbed back into the front seat for a nap. 

When we got to Joe's grandparent's house, I immediately felt cold and tired. I told Joe I didn't feel well and he said that he didn't either. We had a huge lunch with fried chicken, scalloped potatoes, deviled eggs, baked beans, and fried okra. Could you get much more southern than that!? 

Emmy was a little shy at first but then she discovered that there was one step between their living room and covered patio. She has mastered the stairs so up and down she went, exploring every corner and laughing at all the attention she got. 



Joe and I decided not to mention we were sick. We are so over it and just wanted to have a good time and let everyone else enjoy themselves too. On the way home, Joe woke me up as he pulled onto the side of the road to throw up. I hopped to the driver side and took over the rest of the drive. Luckily, Emmy was exhausted and slept the whole way home. When we got back to the house, Joe unloaded the goods and I took Emmy upstairs for a bath. I got her undressed but she started screaming and crying, refusing to get in the bath. She had done this the last 2 baths and even though I couldn't figure out why she was upset, I knew I had to get her comfortable with it again. 

As soon as I touched the water though, I had to pee. I got her to hold on the tub while I went but then she started trying to climb up my legs in fear of abandonment... then she just starting peeing all over me. She looked down with as surprised an expression as me and I just started laughing so she laughed too. I decided to just get in the bath with her, to make her more comfortable and to get myself clean too. Getting in with her worked! We were giggling and playing with toys and I quickly realized I am too big to share a tub.

Then I smelled something funky and decided to get out of the tub. 

As I started to stand up, the moving water exposed the stink: Emmy had pooped in the tub. It was like brown explosion. I yelled out of instinct and she immediately started crying. I scooped her up and yelled for Joe. He couldn't believe she had managed to pee and poop on me in a 10 minute period. I took her into our shower to get cleaned up and Joe was left with the terrifying tub. We were both so achey and he was nauseated but somehow we managed to get everyone and everything clean for another short nap at 5:30. 

By 6:00 we all felt a little better and went downstairs for dinner. I'm not sure that this was the best Easter I have ever had but it sure is a memorable one. Maybe by next year we will all feel a little better and everyone can keep their bowels to themselves. 

As for Joe and I, we decided not to get antibiotics this time. If we get bacterial infections and sore lungs every month then maybe our bodies need to figure out how to fight for themselves. I don't know anything about medicine though so I may just be making myself miserable for nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment