Monday, April 22, 2013

independent little lady

Emmy rocking a white tutu with red Toms at church after a sleepover with KK and Papa

I wrote a draft for a first blog post when Emmy was a few weeks old. I wanted to write her birth story but every time I read it I questioned making it public. I read the first paragraph and laughed out loud... I didn't remember thinking this but I was so right!


Emmy was born on February 10, 2012 at precisely 10:43 am.
I happen to know with complete certainty that Emmy will be on her  own terms her whole life. I'm a little like that (okay, a lot like that) and I recognize it when I see it. From her conception to her delivery and now her sleep schedule, it's her way every time. 


 This independence is something I love about Emmy. This is also something that is going to drive me to drink. As Emmy's personality has developed, she has become so damn particular. There are so many things that we have taught her to do that now mean she is the only one who can do them. 

We taught her to hold a fork and spoon while eating. Now she grabs them from us so she can try to feed herself. She usually gives up and uses her hands but flings food off her fork for fun (like that alliteration!?).




 We feed her organic baby food from pouches (like these and these)with almost every meal. I love that she gets fruits, veggies and/or grains and yogurt 3 times a day without me having to force anything. She LOVES them. If she sees one, I have 5 seconds to open it or she will start grunting while flinging her arms up and down and whining. Then, she has to hold it and feed herself. Halfway through she needs my help to get the bottom half up. She will hand it to me and let me squeeze but she wants it back immediately to finish it herself.

She's 14 months. I don't expect her to be patient but holy hell, girl! 

Walking is still a struggle. She can't do it without holding someone's hand so we spend most of the afternoon hunched over, walking in little wobbly circles around the house. If she remembers the stairs, she will dart for them. She pretty much has going up mastered and going down is 50% success and 50% head first disaster. We have to watch her very closely and catch her if she is about to tumble. These two are back-killers.



Then there's the play time. She wants all fun toys to herself but she wants you right there next to her to keep her company and to hold all the things that she doesn't want to play with. 

I ask, "Emmy, can I have this?" and point to a favorite toy. She shakes her head, no. I ask her for something that bores her, she fetches it for me. She doesn't mind sharing - just not the ones she likes.

She has this dog, a really versatile and sweet puppy that can be pushed around the house. It's been wonderful... until she learned how to push it lightning fast from one wall to the other and then start screaming until someone turns it around for her. Joe swears he taught her how to turn around. Maybe she knows I'll just turn it for her. 

I realize this might sound like I'm complaining or that I think my kid is bad. The funny thing is, I don't at all! She is so sweet and affectionate. She is already thoughtful, caring and so smart. She is wonderful and I just have to remind myself that her independence is a strength and I will be grateful for this later when she is better at doing things for herself. I have thought about what I was like as a kid and I can remember wanting to do things for myself. Learning was... and really still is... fun so I need to let her do things herself so she can enjoy learning.

We had so much fun this weekend. There may be many days I hide my rolling eyes from her while she struggles to do something her way but those days are still happy ones. 

Joe and I often look at each other and say "YOUR CHILD" when she is being goofy or stubborn. Her personality is wonderfully us

No comments:

Post a Comment