Thursday, October 24, 2013

some quality time

I took Friday off to hang out with the Emmster. Her daycare was closed for a teacher work day and my work was handled so I was excited to spend some quality time with my kid without anyone being sick. 

We filled up our day quickly. We went shopping at Barnes & Noble and West Elm,  had lunch with my dad and sister, a quick stop at Target with Joe, back home for a nap (while I painted a hallway) and then we had dinner as a family before watching a Halloween movie (I'm embarrassed to admit which one because it was so awful but it was Return to Halloweentown).






It was a perfect day. 

Emmy has become so affectionate. I was telling my friend Keri how much fun she is now, how she looks at me and jabbers in some nonsensical language then smiles and gives me a hug. She was quick to remind me that I always say "now this is my favorite age" and she's right, I do say that every few months. Motherhood really does just keep getting better and I'm continuously surprised by that. I also tell Joe maybe once or twice a day, "I'm just going to eat her... like swallow her whole I love her so much" and he thinks I'm weird. 

One of my best friends, Keri, worked out her schedule so that she can set aside Tuesdays for quality time with her daughter. Just one day a week where she can go to the park or library and get in some one-on-one time. She has the next day off from work and baby, to clean the house, do laundry, go grocery shopping, etc. I am incredibly jealous. The other days she works but she always has Sunday off for church and family. That is the perfect life... still working, bringing in the income to maintain a nice lifestyle but also getting to spend time with her daughter, time to herself, and time with family. 

I am going to try and spend at least one half-day every other week with Emmy. Next week we are going to the zoo with Keri and baby Grace. I'll come in to work a few hours late, not too late that I can't quickly catch up and I'll get Emmy to school in time for her nap. 

I want to enjoy this stage as much as possible. Right now, she loves me so completely.. almost as much as I love her. I know that won't last forever and this time will pass by quickly whether I cherish it or not. 

Emmy often reminds me of Caroline, the little girl I used to babysit. Caroline will always have a piece of my heart, I sometimes think of her as my first child since I loved her so much and her blonde hair and blue eyes made it easy for me to cart her around town as my own. Caroline just turned 10. For me, seeing her only every few weeks, that happened really fast.

 Caroline lives close to Emmy's daycare and I stopped at her house a few weeks ago when I saw her outside selling lemonade. She ran and jumped up on me like she always did and I was proud to show her how big Emmy is. She said that Emmy was cute but I could tell that it was a little hard for her to think of me having my own child. 

A few nights ago Joe mentioned how much Emmy reminded him of Caroline. I had been afraid to tell Joe how often I compared them but truly, they are so similar. Both so sweet, funny and there is this one look... a kinda serious but silly look... Emmy leans her face in towards mine, eyes all wide, lower lip up, hiding a smile and then starts giggling and throws her head back. Caroline used to make the exact same face. 
 Maybe it's a face I make to them? I don't know, but sometimes I think God is just amazing and I've been blessed to be part of two very sweet girls' lives.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment