Thursday, November 21, 2013

ikea hack plan

Joe and I have been talking about transitioning Emmy's nursery into a toddler room. As in, removing the side bars on her crib, taking out the changing table and making more play space. I've even had miniature fantasies of Christmas morning- imagining her room glowing with the little fairy lights hanging in her play house,  she'd hop down out of her bed and run in to our room to wake us up for Santa, too excited to sleep and begging us to take her downstairs so she can open her presents. 
Okay, I realize this isn't going to happen this year but I'm still so excited about Christmas. This is likely the last year we get to pick all of her gifts so I'm focusing on what she needs but will also love.

She doesn't really need "toys" anyway. She plays with toys all day at school and when she's home she really only has a few favorite stuffies and toys that she chooses to play with. One thing she definitely loves is coloring and toddler-sized furniture. Have I mentioned how much I love her Pottery Barn anywhere chair? It's still one of my favorite purchases of all time and will probably last much longer than I originally thought. 

 Emmy spends almost an hour every night playing in her room. Most of the time she plays by herself. I felt a little guilty about it at first but then I realized that it's great that she can entertain herself and I don't have to watch her every minute, she'll be okay (plus I keep the monitor on).

So, here's the plan...
The Ikea "latt" table and chairs are only $19.99 as a set (available online too!). I plan to paint the top of the table with black chalkboard paint. Then I will paint the table and chairs a combination of white and gray. I picked out these fabrics from www.hawthornefabrics.com - confetti dots in shell and charcoal at $20 for 2 yards. I'm hoping to cover the seats with the pink shell and then make a bag or satchel of some kind with the charcoal print to hold all the chalk. 

I'm just so excited to see her reaction when she comes downstairs on Christmas morning and sees her own art table with new little stuffies sitting in the chairs with books and lots of art supplies for her to try out.

I'll post the pictures of the complete project on Christmas Eve!
  
post signature

3 comments: