Wednesday, November 6, 2013

zoo date

Emmy and I got to spend the first half of our Wednesday (last week) together at the zoo. I appreciated the animals a little more than Emmy but she definitely enjoyed lots of my attention and making monkey sounds at every animal.
She walked over to this wall and turned around to smile at me. I started laughing because she looked like she was modeling for me, turning her body at an angle and looking back at me. I think the wall was warm and the sun felt good on her face. She was definitely happy there.
I got so excited about the elephants. Pictures can't do them justice. They are so big and powerful yet gentle and even a little silly. We got to watch this one walk up and down the side and drink water with it's trunk. I was holding Emmy up saying "Do you see? Watch him! He's an elephant! Oh wow! What does an elephant say? Roll tide!" She was clutching her snack and looking at me like I was crazy.
The first time we visited the gorilla, he was sitting in his hut picking his nose but the second time we went through he was taking a nap. It turns out most animals take lunch-time naps. The next time we go, we are going to get to the zoo as early as possible to catch the animals awake.
Emmy had fun climbing up and down these steps. Even though the drop is small, she would throw her hands up in the air as if she was jumping a long distance. She was thrilled every time.
We were running late and I had to hurry through the African Safari portion. That was a shame because really Africa has most of my favorite animals including the giraffe! It just feels amazing to stand so close to something that's living and is so large yet not threatening. Two hours wasn't enough time at the zoo. Luckily, the Birmingham Zoo only costs $8 so it's completely worth going again!
post signature

1 comment: